HELLO my lovely anti-journalers, and welcome to week one of the Chronicles project! I have the first set of prompts ready along with my own pages to share, and I am SUPER EXCITED for this process. For more information about anti-journaling and the Chronicles project, read this post.
Coincidentally, I found Journal52 this week, which is a free art journaling workshop that will span the entirety of 2014. I took that as a happy coincidence and immediately signed up. I figured it would be a fun challenge to incorporate those prompts into this project, and figuring out a way to use a traditional art journaling prompt in the anti-journaling journal will be good exercise. I’m adding that as a bonus prompt if you want to figure out a way to do the same thing (or if you just need a little bit of typical art journal fare, that’s okay too!)
Enough blathering out of me, let’s get to the good stuff! Remember, I have fit all of this into a 7.5 x 15 inch spread with a 3.5 x 7.5 inclusion page!
This week’s prompts:
- Main spread: Illustrate/collage/paint/otherwise artify something funny that you saw or read.
- Photography: When you catch yourself rolling your eyes at yourself, take a picture of that thing you’re doing – write a little explanation when you paste the picture in.
- Art/Photography/Journaling: Think of the most memorable thing that happened this week. If you have a picture of it, paste it in. If you can draw it, draw it. If you just want to write about it, do that!
- Journaling: List at least three things you accomplished this week.
- Journaling: What is your favorite song right now?
- Journaling: What are you excited about?
- Attach any momentos or ephemera that has caught your attention
- Destash: If you find yourself hoarding a supply, use it!
- Optional: Journal52 prompt: Up, up, and away
Remember, the point of this project is to have a book that you’re not nervous to look at in the years to come, one that isn’t full of sorrow and angst. Try to keep it as light and positive as possible without relying so heavily on inspirational quotes and platitudes.
My main spread happened in Facebook chat when Ann and I started typing faster than our brains can handle:
I seriously spent 30 minutes deseeding starfruit, and I thought it was ridiculous and sort of hilarious as it was happening, so I took a picture of food, something I never do! I also snapped a picture of my tiny Chihuahua conquering a giant snow pile as my memory for the week:
I love the look of Polaroids, so I cut the pictures out in a faux-Polaroid style and labeled them with little notes. I glued them in and then used some Washi tape (one of my destash supplies!). That particular tape came with my kids’ Minecraft papercraft set. Not that I’d steal from my kids or anything.
Underneath the feather, I used one of my million stencils with modeling paste, another of my destash supplies:
I also attached a picture my daughter drew for a Kindergarten assignment, a teenytiny self portrait:
I did the prompt for Journal52 on a piece of toned gray paper in colored pencil/gel pen/ink and then pasted it onto the inclusion page:
and doodled some Zentangles and wrote about my favorite song (Ann’s husband’s bluegrass version of “White Wedding”) and the thing I am excited about (a free Calligraphy class):
Isn’t the gold foil in that sleeve prettypretty? I used the printed packing tape I made in that ornament tutorial for the fancy clothes.
Finally, I squeezed my week’s major accomplishments in the corner:
and that’s it! There is a lot of goodness packed into these pages, but, since it was all done in little bits, nothing took very long!
Are you anti-journaling? Show me your goodies! Please remember to link directly to a blog post or specific picture so that future visitors can find your pages easier!