Ladies, gentlemen, droids, wookies, and clones, it is Week #3 of the wonderstrange Holiday Contest, where you can alter a holiday decoration (or make your own) and win one of two Amazon gift cards that you can spend on presents! Fun! I’ll have more on the detailsy-rulesey bits at the end of this post, but meanwhile, to keep you inspired, I tackled this:
For this project, I kept going with my nerdgirl business (like last week, when the Borg assimilated Santa). I did, however, switch from my usual Aves Apoxie Clay to Aves Apoxie Sculpt, which Sarah recommended to me. I ordered the “natural,” which looks like this, and I liked it a lot!
This is currently available in my shop.
You, too, can make a holiday decoration like this one – or, you know, not at all like this one – and you totally should! Here are the rules, created by the team of lawyers chained up in the crawlspace:
- The work must be done by you between November 7 and December 12, 2014.
- Any medium or combination of media is great. You can collage, draw, paint, watercolor, paper mache, sculpt, build, sew, crochet, knit, or tat.
- Leave a comment on one of the Living with Art for the Holidays posts and link a photograph using Mr. Linky. Barring that – if you don’t have a blog, for example – leave a comment and submit a photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your creation should be an artful holiday decoration. This may include wall art, mantle decorations, table decorations, ornaments, kitchen decor, etc.
- What do we mean by “artful”? Something that is thoughtfully designed and constructed. Something that looks good. Something that appears well-made.
- Picture quality matters, not in the sense that we’re judging your photography skills, but in the sense that if your picture is dark (or blown out), we can’t see the details, which means we can’t assess or appreciate the details. See what I mean?
- If you are redesigning an existing object, please include before and after pictures, so we can appreciate your achievement.
- Multiple entries are permitted.
- All projects will be featured in the wonderstrange Living with Art blog on December 19, 2014, a.k.a. the Friday before Christmas
- It doesn’t matter to us what your project is for. Maybe you’re going to give it to your brother. Maybe your spouse is going to steal it from your work table despite the fact that you planned to give it to your brother. Maybe you’re going to make it into your centerpiece for Christmas dinner. That’s up to you.
- The winner will be chosen by the women of wonderstrange over the weekend of December 12-14 and announced on Monday, December 15, which means that you can use the money to buy someone a present OR save it for yourself to buy art supplies, jewelry, books, yarn – whatever you like!
- The first-place winner will receive a $35 Amazon gift card. The second-place winner will receive a $15 Amazon gift card. Both will have the option to guest write a “Living with Art” post in 2015 (by no means required).
What are you waiting for? Go, go, go!