Receiving a half-frozen, half-burnt breakfast in bed is one of those time-honored Mother’s Day traditions that should never be abandoned, because moms treasure the proud, excited expressions on their little chefs’ faces more than anything. Know what moms don’t treasure, though? Pictures of themselves having the breakfast. Between the puffy eyes, the bedhead, and the wrinkled, disarranged nightgown, it’s just not a Kodak moment. Witness my poor (and otherwise very beautiful) grandmother:
Is she even remotely happy to be in that picture? I think not. So keep the breakfast, but skip the embarrassing photo, and instead, plan a simple, fun, inexpensive Mother’s Day experience that will create wonderful pictures for a mother or grandmother to cherish always!
1. In preparation for the big day, buy frames – one per kid, plus one for mom or grandma that can hold a shot of each child. Personally, I recommend Goodwill as a source of inexpensive frames, because paying $1.99 is WAY better than paying $16.99-$24.99 at a “discount” store.
2. Have each kid choose a theme for a dress-up photo shoot with mom or grandma. Maybe the 5 year old wants a glamor shoot with make up and feather boas, while the 7 year old wants to be astronauts exploring Mars. Gather costume materials and props for the child and the adult, with plenty of input from the child. Goodwill and the Dollar Store are great places for props, if you don’t already have everything you need.
3. Print the wonderstrange line art in a size that will fit each frame. (I’ll give you a link shortly.) Let the kids color the line art and decorate the frame as desired This can be presented to mom or grandma in the morning, with the explanation that you are kindly saving her from that awful bedhead photo. Instead, she’ll get to have a photo shoot with each child, designed by that child!
Child: We’re going to do a fun photo shoot so you don’t have to pose for a picture like this one!
Mom: OMG, it’s the best Mother’s Day EVER!
4. Have your photo shoot! Go outdoors! Go indoors! Make silly faces! Have fun!
5. After everyone is all tuckered out, gather around the computer to enjoy the photos. Let each child choose a favorite to go into the frame for his or her room and make extra copies for the adult(s)!
Cool idea, right? Click here to get the line art; the rest is up to you!
See our digi store for great images for graduations, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and more!